Saturday, January 23, 2021

Storybook Favorites

Hello again!

I loved looking through the different previous storybooks for the Epics of India course. I quickly found three that I found entertaining, so I will describe them here.

Kali in the Modern World

This was the first storybook I looked at, as I find the goddess Kali (pictured below) to be interesting and was considering a topic similar to this one. When I read more about this story, it was clear the title was perfect, and I thought the introduction did a good job as well. Some of my favorite books have involved time travel, or out-of-time individuals living in the modern world, so I thought the story sounded interesting. In addition to the introduction I looked at one of the stories listed, and I thought the idea of Durga in World War 1 was a great idea! It reminded me of the first Wonder Woman movie.


Artwork of Kali
No Changes Made. Created by Keijona on 01-19-2016. Source: Wikipedia

The Creation of Kali

The next story I looked at caught my eye for the same reason as the first: Kali was mentioned in the name. While I know about Kali from reading a story in which Durga took part, I do not actually know much about Kali the character so I found the idea described in the introduction very interesting. The wording used in this storybook's intro was definitely great for catching the reader's attention, and I found it interesting that the author used the different creation stories to provide a different personality for the same character. I couldn't resist reading through the stories after the intro, and I was entertained the whole time!

Voldemort's Reincarnation

The reason I looked at this final story was different from the first two, and it stems fully from the fact that I saw a Harry Potter reference and was immediately interested. I was curious how Harry Potter could be tied to an Indian Epic, and the way in which the author did this made complete sense to me. The use of Padma and Parvati was ingenious, and I thought the way the introduction seemed to serve as a prologue was interesting. I also liked how the author utilized the characters of Harry Potter and Voldemort to incorporate a traditional Indian Epic.

To conclude, these three storybooks all interested me, and I enjoyed reading about all of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...