Sunday, April 4, 2021

Week 11 Story: Dear Diary, Radha Here

Dear Diary,

Today is officially the worst day of my life. I woke up to sunshine and birds singing, smiling because I knew today was the day Krishna would ask permission to marry me. Oh, diary, how I had waited for this day. It seems like my love for Krishna grows with each day, and every time I see him my heart swells.

I waited for the news of Krishna's actions by the river that runs on the edge of Vrindaven. After all, what better way to spend time daydreaming of one's future than to spend it among nature?

However, the day soon started becoming the worst one ever when I spotted my love walking towards me. His face was drawn, his countenance sad, and I knew at once in my bones that what I had secretly feared had come to pass.

Sure enough, when Krishna came near, I could see the tears in his eyes.

"Krishna? What is wrong?" I asked him. "Did your parents not give you permission?"

"No, Radha," he replied. "It is more than that, though. They took me to a priest, and he showed me the will of Dharma. I am sorry, my dear, but I cannot marry you."

And with those words that I knew would forever change my life, Krishna just left me.

Yes, Diary, you read that right! He did not even offer me comfort or more of an explanation. So I sat on the bank of the river for what felt like hours, numb to everything. If I am honest, I still feel a bit numb. What am I supposed to do with my life? How am I supposed to experience the joys of being a mother? I love Krishna so much it hurts. How am I supposed to find that with someone else?

Diary, if I wanted to be even more honest, I am angry with my Krishna as well. How is Dharma against our marriage? I know he loves me as I love him. I don't understand! How could he just throw us away, as if our love is nothing? I do not know what to do.

I guess, I will have to learn to love again.

Image of a Statue of Radha and Krishna in Kolkata.
No Changes Made. By: Jonoikobangali. Source: Wikimedia Commons


Author's Note: Hi reader! The inspiration from this story came from Episode 13 of Epified TV's Krishna series. In this episode, Krishna seeks to gain permission to marry Radha. When his parents cannot convince him not to, they take him to a priest who tells Krishna that he is the saviour of Dharma, and he cannot marry Radha so that he can fulfill his destiny. I thought this tale was heartbreaking, but I did not like how we did not get Radha's point of view. So, that's how I got the idea for Dear Diary, Radha Here! I had not done a story in a diary-style format, so I thought it would be fun to give it a go now that the semester is nearing its end for me. I hope you enjoyed my story!

Bibliography

"Krishna Episode 13 - The Saviour of Dharma" by Epified TV (India) in 2015. Link: YouTube

3 comments:

  1. Heyyy Tyler!
    The very beginning of this was so funny but also really sad. The contrast of it being the worst day of her life straight to it was beautiful outside was just very amusing. I am really glad you wrote about her thought-process through all of this. The video and any other stories about Krishna focus on his duty and how this is the only option, but what about Radha? She is not automatically going to be happy he is a savior to the world. And this was such a fun take, seeing a diary entry instead of the in-the-moment emotions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tyler!
    I must say I was very invested in your story through the very start. I come from India and the fact that I still see the "will of Dharma" being a reason not being able to marry even after such a long time fascinates me. What I really liked about your story is how you presented it comically and yet I connected to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tyler, great story! You really captured Radha’s emotions of betrayal and numbness; by the end of the story, I was completely on her side. It’s really sad that Krishna did not (or could not) stay to comfort Radha or better explain why the will of Dharma was against their marriage. Also, why didn’t Krishna’s parents tell him earlier, so he wouldn’t hurt Radha. I hope she is able to overcome this and love again.

    ReplyDelete

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...