Friday, April 9, 2021

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version
New Beginnings

The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her new home.

"It's not bad, but it could be better," she said to herself.

Walking up to the front door, she unlocked it and stepped inside. Inhaling, she breathed in the smell of new beginnings. They smelled oddly of...pot? "That's going to be fun to get out," she thought to herself.

The next few days sped by as she unpacked her life, rearranging it to fit into this new one.

At the end, she knew she'd be okay.

Image of a Moving Truck.
No Changes Made. Source: pixy


New Twitter Version

I just moved into a new place, and I can't believe this is actually happening. The people who lived here before me were apparently big into pot? Like, even the garage smells of it?? Besides that, I guess I will be busy unpacking. Here's to new beginnings! Hopefully it's all good!


Author's Note: These stories are of a woman moving into her new home and settling in, and they are inspired by the facts that I'll be moving after I graduate next month, and the fact that my current neighbors love hotboxing their apartment, leading mine to smell like pot most days. I thought adding that detail in might add humor into the stories. I decided to make the second version a "new twitter version" because I love Twitter (probably too much). Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tyler, I have recently discovered what microfiction is and I have really enjoyed it! I love this story because I too am moving next month! My husband and I are moving to Wisconsin, as he has a software engineering job and I will be going to medical school. Luckily, we are moving into new construction, so we do not have to worry about pot smell haha :) I hope moving for you goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tyler! I love your microfiction. I really like that you have two versions because I’m really into Twitter, too, lol. I think including the pot joke in each really helps make the piece because it’s a relatable experience and it makes the story more unique than just moving to a new place. Good job! I might have to try writing some microfiction myself before the semester is over.

    ReplyDelete

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...