Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues, Part B

I think the second part of "Sita Sings the Blues" did a great job of using the parallels between Nina's and Sita's story to show how they were both treated poorly by men and spent too long trying to be perfect for them, only to finally put themselves first in the end.

This was also reflected in the fact that, at the end, it was Vishnu rubbing Lakshmi's feet, not the other way around like in the beginning. I really love the message of female empowerment! It was different than the message I got from the original Ramayana.

However, one thing that stuck out to me was the song that Sita's sons were taught to sing to praise Rama. I at first thought it was weird, but then I realized it was a perfect summary of how Rama is portrayed throughout his whole life. He is treated as divine and perfect and unable to do wrong (he is an avatar, but still!).

I don't have as much to say about this part because it was shorter and much faster paced, but I do think I enjoyed it more than part A. I think if I were to write a story on this part, it would involve something about a girl learning to choose herself over her relationship.

Image of Sita and Ravana from "Sita Sings the Blues".
No Changes Made. By: Nina Paley in 2008. Source: Wikimedia Commons


Bibliography:

"Sita Sings the Blues" by Nina Paley in 2008. Link: YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...