Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Reading Notes: The Divine Archer, Part B

After finishing The Divine Archer, I think I can say that I like it for different reasons than I liked the Tiny Tales from the Ramayana version. In this version, there are less teachable moments and elaborations, and it is strictly the story. It definitely made for quicker reading, however.

The part that stuck out to me the most was Sita's devotion to her husband after having to live and raise her sons in exile for many years. Even though she had suffered and was frail, she still went to Ayodhya and looked at Rama with love. I do not think I would still love Rama if I were in her shoes. I guess it just depends on the person, but I would've felt betrayed by Rama. Especially since he's supposed to be such a great person.

I think it would be interesting to see a Sita who has completely grown independent. She maybe has a fondness for Rama, but I don't think I would want to see her still love him, if only for how she loves herself and he wouldn't trust her. He doesn't deserve her devotions. I would rewrite the ending, and have Sita just maybe not even go to Ayodhya. She would have lived a happy life, instead of suffering, and would maybe have died peacefully or even found a new lover.

I just want to see more strong independent women!

Sita and Hanuman.
No Changes Made. By: Gita Press Gorakhpur on 2-10-2018. Source: Wikimedia Commons

Bibliography:

The Divine Archer by F. J. Gould in 1911. Link: Internet Archive

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...