Saturday, January 30, 2021

Feedback Thoughts

As a person who used to be way more obsessed with straight As, I have had differing thoughts on feedback over the years. Up until my first year of college I had never gotten any grade lower than an A, yet when I got a B in Honors Calculus II my very first semester I was actually relieved. I had been so convinced I would get a C in the class that when I got a B, I forgot to be upset that I didn't get an A. While I am sometimes sad that I don't have the opportunity to graduate college with a 4.0 GPA, I think getting a B my first semester was actually very valuable to me because it took away so much potential stress from maintaining a 4.0. Losing it in the beginning meant I could then concentrate on just doing my best and not worry about perfection!

For this assignment, my favorite article that I read was How to Tame Your Inner Critic: A Simple Habit to Rewire Your Brain by Joel Almeida. I really enjoyed this article because I often consider myself to be my biggest critic, so reading an article where the author came from the same perspective and rewired their brain to overcome that gave me hope and and strategies to help prevent myself from being so critical. As this is my final college semester, I've been trying to just enjoy my time here and live in the moment, so I think the REBS technique outlined here will help with that.

The other article I read was Silence the Critical Voices in Your Head by Sabina Nawaz. I really enjoyed this article because I definitely have a problem with accepting positive feedback, so I think the tips outlined in this article will be helpful. I think forcing yourself to accept the positive feedback you get is just as crucial as learning how to not be so negative on yourself, so I think this article works well with the one talked about above. Besides the tips outlined in the article, I liked how an example was given with someone benefitting from this process. It is heartening to know these tips actually work and could help me.
Art of the Word Feedback with Colored Conversation Bubbles Above.
No Changes Made. Created by Gerd Altmann on 10-04-2018. Source: pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...