Friday, March 26, 2021

Week 10 Lab - Microfiction: The Adaptation

Drabble Version

The Adaptation

She plopped down on the couch, holding a bowl of popcorn in her arms. She excitedly pressed play on the remote and snuggled under her blanket to watch the show.

Of course, she knew the story, having read the books countless times, but she did not know what they would look like on the small screen.

Nervously biting her nails, she hoped the stories of her heart would not be disappointingly changed.

Though if that happened, she would always have the books to revisit.

One short hour later, she smiled as she knew her dreams had been made into reality.

Cartoon TV.
No Changes Made. Source: pixy

Hint Fiction Version

The Adaptation

She excitedly watched her favorite books come to life before her as all of her earlier worries were assuaged. After all, seeing really is believing.


Author's Note: These two microfictions, which I wrote for my Week 10 storylab, were based off my own feelings. I am sure I am not the only one who has been disappointed by book adaptations in the past (I'm looking at you, Percy Jackson movies!). With Shadow and Bone releasing on Netflix next month, and my all-time favorite book series ACOTAR by Sarah J. Maas getting a TV adaptation announced today, the worries of liking an adaptation have been on my mind frequently lately. My favorite books, especially YA fantasy ones, are deeply personal to me, especially the characters, so I really hope these two adaptations do their novels justice.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tyler,
    I love this microfiction! Especially because I just finished reading your introduction and I know that you are an avid reader and are awaiting the Shadow and Bone premiere! It is always nerve-wracking to see your favorite book or series made into a show because you have the world so clearly and vividly pictured in your head. I like how the microfiction ended with a perfect illustration of the book, and I hope that your real-life experience matches it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tyler! Ahh, this is so great! It really captures all of the joy and apprehension that we have seeing our favorite books made into film/TV. I love the line about “seeing is believing.” It’s an old aphorism, but it takes on new meaning when we see books made into film. It’s like we can really believe them for the first time since we found the books. I’m soooo excited for Shadow and Bone to release next week! I’ll probably lock myself in my room and binge it. I hope it’s everything you’re looking forward to, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tyler! I really like this story. I often wish that this were my reaction when seeing an adaptation of a story that I really like. Too often though, I have found myself having the opposite reaction. I liked being able to live vicariously though someone watching a good adaptation rather than my typical response of being wholeheartedly disappointed... Good Job!

    ReplyDelete

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...