Saturday, April 3, 2021

Reading Notes: Epified: Krishna, Part A

I really enjoyed this set of videos about Krishna's childhood! I do not know anything about Krishna besides his part in the Mahabharata, so it was interesting to learn more about him. I really enjoyed the illustrations that accompanied the stories, I think they helped me to visualize the different facets of Krishna's stories. 

The video that stood out to me the most during Part A was the fact that Yashoda did not even question the fact that she had a baby boy next to him. She was portrayed as seemingly forgetting that she gave birth to a boy, not a daughter like she thought. That is insane to me! It seemed like weak storytelling, honestly, to make a mother just forget the gender of her child. I think I would like to rewrite this and make Yashoda sad and confused at the loss of her daughter. 

Another thing I found interesting is how King Kamsa started killing newborns in the hopes that one of them was his nephew. That totally made me think of the birth of baby Jesus and how King Herod killed newborns and Mary and Joseph had to flee to save Jesus!

Overall, I really enjoyed the format of videos for the weekly reading. It was a nice change of pace!

Statue of Yashoda and Krishna.
No Changes Made. By: Metropolitan Museum of Art on 12-18-2019. Source: Wikimedia Commons

Bibliography:

"Krishna Episode 2 - Vasudev Meets Yamuna" by Epified TV (India) in 2015. Link: YouTube

"Krishna Episode 4 - Putana" by Epified TV (India) in 2015. Link: YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...