Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Project Topic Brainstorm

My first thought for a project topic was something involving Durga, which if you have read any of my previous posts is doubtless a surprise. I am not sure exactly what I'd like to do, but I was contemplating either having Durga be in the modern world, perhaps not realizing she is a goddess at first (or losing her memories of it). I did some research into Durga and found some articles that described more about her that I liked: The Goddess Durga: The Mother of the Hindu Universe by Shri Gyan Rajhans and Shubho Mahalaya 2017: Story of Buffalo-headed king Mahishasura and his battle with Goddess Durga by the India Today Web Desk. The main reason I want to write about Durga is that she is such a strong woman who is able to defeat a man because of his idiotic sexism, and I think it is amazing how she is so inspirational even today. Most of my previous knowledge about Durga up to this point is what I knew from the Tiger's Curse series by Colleen Houck, but as that is a fiction fantasy story I do not want to rely solely on that as I have no way of knowing what creative liberties were taken. Another idea I have for Durga that I think would be interesting would be to combine her story with Captain Marvel's as they both have some similar themes that I think would make for a nice story.

My next idea for a project topic would be also with Durga, but taking another route. I thought maybe a cool story would have a modern girl as the main character, and maybe she is a girl who is lonely and has gone through a troubled life. At some point, she starts reading about Durga, and as she slowly starts imitating the goddess through her own life, she will eventually transform into her at the end of the story. My inspiration for this is not really a research article, but I still found it interesting: How to Channel Durga During Challenging Times by Sally Kempton. I think since this is still about Durga the sources I discussed above would help since the main parts of the story that require research are about Durga's life, which is covered in both of the sources above.

Another idea is to maybe retell the story of Hades and Persephone through the lens of Vishnu and Lakshmi. Being a huge fan of the webcomic Lore Olympus by Rachel Smythe, I love how it modernized the story of Hades and Persephone. I think taking the classes Greek myth and making it about Vishnu and Lakshmi instead would be interesting. For this, I did some research using the wikipedia articles on Vishnu and Lakshmi. During this story, I would like to learn more about the stories of Vishnu and Lakshmi. I would have to do more research than this, as a simple Google search on them did not turn up much.

For my fourth idea, I am considering a story involving yoga, and perhaps Parvati and Shiva. I am considering this because I am taking yoga as a class this semester and have never done yoga before, so I find it interesting. I actually did not know it had any connection to the Indian epics. For this, I research the wikipedia pages on yoga, yogis, Parvati, and Shiva. This idea is probably not as strong as the others, but I am considering maybe something where people go to a specific yoga studio, not knowing that doing yoga there connects them to ancient Hindu deities. 

Art of Shiva and Parvati Meeting Lakshmi and Vishnu and Ganesha with Brahma in the Heavens.
No Changes Made. By Welcome Connection Gallery on 04-06-2018. Source: Wikipedia


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...