Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Microfiction: Books are Worlds

Drabble Version

Books are Worlds

I jumped out of my car, and ran into the store. I love Barnes and Noble! I thought.

Marching straight over to the young adult section, I scoured the shelves until I found the book I had been looking for. Finding it, I grabbed a copy and hugged it to my chest. Finally, I can read the book I've been waiting months for! 

Smiling to myself, I walked out of the store holding my new world to enjoy. I knew it was only a matter of time until it sucked me in.

Ten minutes and twelve seconds later, it did.

A Hand Holding a World above a Book with Shining Light
No Changes Made. By Charnchai Saeheng on 06-23-2017. Source: pixabay


Six-Word Version

Books are Worlds

She read, and found new worlds.


Author's Note: While not directly a true story, I love Barnes and Noble and I am sure I have acted something out similar to these stories at some point. Part of my favorite thing about reading is finding myself immersed in new worlds, and I wanted to try to capture what that feels like to me: the excitement of finding a new book and getting lost in it. I wanted my second story to be a six-word story because I have always found them fun, and I think if done right they can have a big impact.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tyler! This is the first microfiction story I have read this semester, so that was cool! I can definitely relate to the exciting feeling of picking out a new book, although as I have gotten older, that has happened less and less (sadly). Hopefully, kids these days will have a chance to return to bookstores without the COVID concerns sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tyler! I really enjoyed your micro fiction story. It was interesting to read and even cooler that it applies to your life. Like you, I love to read as well. I am more into reading non-fiction books that are very factual, typically about science related concepts. I'd be interested to hear about what kind of books you enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...