Sunday, January 24, 2021

My Thoughts on Growth Mindset

Hello!

I confess that I had never heard about either Carol Dweck or growth mindset before starting this assignment. After watching the videos, I can definitely buy into the claim that this mindset is beneficial in terms of learning and personal growth. As an engineering student, I commonly run into problems that are not easily or obviously solvable, so I guess I have run into this mode of thinking before without knowing the actual name.

I think because of my major and my history as a long distance runner in high school, I would classify myself as a growth mindset. I sometimes have to spend a lot of time to figure a problem out, but I try my best to figure them out before searching for help. In running, I had to have a lot of perseverance to finish a run or reach my goal times, and that definitely required a growth mindset. Running is such a mental sport, and having a fixed mindset would get you nowhere.

I think the concept of growth mindset is very interesting. The fact that so much research has been done on the topic is comforting, and I think I would enjoy exploring more about the topic this semester. I think something like this would be very beneficial to me as I prepare to finish my education and enter the "real world".

The picture shown below is one that I found online about growth mindset. I really like the phrase "Retrain Your Brain", as to me it is indicative that it is never too late to switch from a fixed to a growth mindset. Even if I sometimes lean more towards a fixed mindset than a growth one, there are phrases and practices I could use to help myself benefit from future challenges.

Image of a Human Head with Growth-Mindset-Related Phrases in the Brain and the Phrase "Retrain Your Brain".
No Changes Made. Uploaded by johnhain on 04-30-2019. Source: pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...