Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Feedback Strategies

When I give feedback, I often worry I will be too harsh and then end up probably being too nice in my feedback. However, I personally often prefer feedback that gives me something to grow on, even if I can be very self-conscious on what I write. I am hoping to take my own preferences into account more often when giving others feedback.

The first article I read for this assignment was The Difference Between Praise and Feedback by Anya Kamenetz. As I feel like I too often praise people instead of giving them valuable feedback, I thought this would be a valuable article which I could learn from. While the majority of the focus was on parents and their children, I still liked how it talked about feedback requiring time and effort to be meaningful, whereas praise is low cost but has more potential negative consequences. This made me think about how I need to realize that I may be harming the person more by sugarcoating my response instead of giving them truly beneficial feedback.

The second article I read was Why Do So Many Managers Avoid Giving Praise? by Jack Zenger and Joseph Folkman. I thought this was a really interesting article. I had no idea that so many managers avoid positive feedback altogether, though thinking back on all of the managers I've had I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. I thought it was also interesting how the employees rated managers higher who gave positive feedback yet so many mangers who only gave negative feedback thought they were extremely effective. I think this article helped me to learn that it is important to look for the good in things as well as the things that can be improved upon. After all, it was the managers who gave both positive and negative feedback that were rated the highest overall.

Thinking of these articles, and taking my own feedback experiences into account, I think I will try to make it a point this semester to make sure to give at least one piece of positive and negative feedback every time I give someone feedback. I hope that doing it this way will make the act become more natural after some practice.

Hand Writing the Word Feedback in Blue.
No Changes Made. By: Nick Youngson. Source: The Blue Diamond Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...