Friday, February 5, 2021

Topic Research: The Marvelous Durga

The project topic I have chosen will be my topic with Durga's story being combined with Captain Marvel's. I am a big Captain Marvel fan (Carol Danvers, specifically, though I also like Mar-Vell and Monica Rambeau and others), so I am very excited to get to write my project on something that interests me so much.

The first place I started researching was Wikipedia. The Wikipedia page for Durga was especially helpful. Her origin story is of her defeat of Mahishasura, where she is created to defeat him since Brahma granted his wish of only being killed by a woman. I think I could easily incorporate Mahishasura into my retellings of Carol's origin stories, as Carol's origins include a male villain as well. I did some other research on Durga as well, and really enjoyed this article, Durga Puja: The story of the goddess and her incarnations, I found that describes Durga's three eyes and her ten arms and the weapons they hold.

Durga Riding a Tiger with Hanuman and Yogi.
No Changes Made. From Wellcome Connection Gallery on 03-29-2018. Source: Wikipedia

For Captain Marvel, I looked at her Wikipedia page (here), but as I own all of the Carol Danvers Captain Marvel comics (and working on her Ms. Marvel ones!) I will likely use my own comics as a reference for her stories. Carol's origin has changed a few times, so I think I might write my three stories for this project using each of Carol's origins with a Durga spin on them. However, Carol in her lifetime of comics has had many different heroic identities since her first comic in 1977: Ms. Marvel, Binary, Warbird, and now Captain Marvel. So, it might be interesting to incorporate those as well.

If I go the three different origin stories route, then the origin stories I will use includes the one from the original 1977 comics run, talked about in detail on Carol's page of the Marvel Fandom Wiki. This page talks about Carol's childhood and when she meets Mar-Vell. While her first comics appearance was in Marvel Super-Heroes #13 in 1968, it is not until Captain Marvel #7 that she is exposed to the Kree device that gives her her powers.

The second origin story I would include would be the one from The Life of Captain Marvel comics by Margaret Stohl, which slightly retcons Carol's origin to be different from the original comics. A good summary can be found here, but I'd likely be using the actual comics as a source as well since I own them. In this one, she still encounters Mar-Vell, Yon-Rogg, and the Psyche Magnitron, but the machine this time awakens her latent Kree DNA given to her by her Kree mother-in-hiding, Mari-Ell. This was a big deal because, before now, Carol's powers were created by the Psyche Magnitron, not awakened.

The third origin story I would include would be inspired by the wonderful Captain Marvel film that came out in 2019. The plot of the film is detailed on Wikipedia, which I might use as a source but I own the film and have seen it several times so I'd probably just rewatch the movie for this story, since I use any excuse I can get to watch it! In this, Carol gets her powers when she shoots her gun at the light speed engine created by Mar-Vell to prevent Yon-Rogg from getting it. Unbeknownst to her, the energy source is fueled by the Tesseract, the space Infinity Stone, and thus she gains her powers. The movie is the story of her regaining her identity (Yon-Rogg wiped her mind and made her think she was a Kree alien herself).

I am really excited about this project idea! I think it would work well and I would have a lot of material for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...