Monday, March 1, 2021

Reading Notes: Tiny Tales from the Mahabharata, Part C

In this part, the big battle that the whole story has been leading up to has started. However, as of the end of Part C it has not ended, and for the first time I found myself accidentally reading into Part D.

While this part had more of moments that I found odd or funny as did the first two parts, I do think the story is much better now that there is a battle. There were often times that characters did an action that I thought was pointless. I think I can probably safely say that I like the Ramayana more by this point.

One tale that stuck out to me was Tale 144, "Indra Visits Karna in Disguise". I started this tale assuming Indra would finally get Karna to fight with his brothers, seeing as how he's a god and everything, but this dude literally gifts him a crazy weapon just because he was nice to him?? Where did the worry for your son's life go? I do not understand this man. He just gave a Shakti-spear to the person who has decided to face his son in battle just because of some earrings and armor.

Like sure, it is cool that Karna gave his stuff to a random old man (if a bit weird), but I was not expecting Indra to gift him a weapon. I think it would make more sense for Indra's gift that he asked of Karna to be to spare his son's life. That's what I would've asked for! And, it goes along with his whole reason for even going to Karna in the first place.

Statue of Karna fighting Ghatotkacha.
No Changes Made. Taken by: Sarah Welch on 10-19-18. Source: Wikimedia Commons

Bibliography: Part C, Page 15, Tale 144 of Tiny Tales from the Mahabharata by Laura Gibbs. Link: Tale 144.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...