Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Reading Notes: Tiny Tales from the Mahabharata, Part D

The ending of the Mahabharata was, I think, more satisfying than the ending of the Ramayana. I remember being angry at the ending of the Ramayana because of Rama's treatment of Sita, but I enjoyed the ending of the Mahabharata (besides the Pandavas and Draupadi ending up in hell) as it seemed most of the characters got a fitting ending. I especially liked how the Mahabharata started and ended with mention of the Mahabharata itself.

In Part D, the tale that stuck out to me the most was Tale 191, "The Pandavas Climb Mount Meru". These tales stuck out to me because they detailed the ending of the five Pandava brothers and Draupadi. As I mentioned above, I really did not life how Yudhishthira was the only one of the six who ended up in heaven. This dude literally gambled away every single one of his brothers and HIS WIFE, and yet because of "dharma" his actions were all magically okay.

Draupadi, who was forced to marry five brothers because of their mothers response to a joke (which I still think was a whole wild situation), has to live in hell forever because she loved one more than the others? That is not fair. Yudhishthira did nothing to help save her when they were in their final year of exile and the queen's brother was lusting for her. Also, it seems vaguely misogynistic that she was the first to fall.

I would think that if the other brothers could not make it because they were proud of certain aspects of themselves or had some flaws, then there has to be something that would prevent Yudhishthira from making it. Based on the choices he made throughout the story, it makes no sense. I think I would maybe rewrite this tale but make it where Yudhishthira also falls, albeit last.

Image of Mount Meru.
No Changes Made. Taken by Woodlouse on 7-15-08. Source: flickr

Bibliography: Part D, Page 20, Tale 191 of Tiny Tales from the Mahabharata by Laura Gibbs. Link: Tale 191.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 12 Lab - Microfiction: New Beginnings

Drabble Version New Beginnings The wind howled as she slammed the door on the truck. Turning, she put her hands on her hips and surveyed her...